The Story of Suhayb

Suhayb is one of the companions of the Blessed Prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam. The stories of the companions (Sahabah) of the Blessed Prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam lives to inspire us. Their unwavering faith and love for Allah and Rasulullah serves to remind us of our shortcomings, and at the same time becomes a motivation for us to strive towards strengthening our own faith (iman).

When Suhayb embraced Islam and followed the Blessed Prophet, enemies of Islam would beat Suhayb until he fainted. This torture continued until the migration to Madina. Eventually Suhayb was able to embark on his journey in the aim of emigrating to Madina after the Prophet. Some of the Meccans followed him and reaching him they said:

"You came here as a poor and weak person. You attained to great wealth amongst us. And now you want to go and take your wealth with you? By Allah we will never allow it!"

Suhayb immediately got down from his animal. Taking out some arrows from his quiver he said to them:

"O people of Quraysh! You know that I am the best archer amongst you. And by Allah I will use up all of the arrows I have with me and when they are finished I will draw my sword. Whilst I am in possession of both of these none of you will be able to come close to me. Only after they have left me can you do as you wish to me. Now, if I tell you where I have left my treasure will you let me go?"

The polytheists accepted his offer. After that Suhayb told them where his treasure was and continued on his journey. It was the middle of the month of Rabiul awwal when he reached Quba (a village near Madina), and was reunited with the Messenger of Allah sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam.

When the Messenger of Allah sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam saw him he smiled and, impying that he had sacrificed all of his wealth in the cause of his faith he said:

"Suhayb has triumphed! Suhayb has triumphed! O Father of Yahya. Your trade has proven profitable. Your trade has proven profitable."



[excerpted from Osman Nuri Topbas, "Civilization of Virtues"]
Previous
Next Post »